Sunday, March 22, 2009

We got our free rock!!

I have a customer who was going to be doing a reroof. He said the existing roof had all this lava rock on it, and wondered if I was interested in taking it for my gardens. I checked to make sure that the rock wasn't going to hold the heat and cook my plants, and was told that it was so small and pourous that my plants should be okay. So I told my customer I'd be happy to take it. A few weeks later I was told it was ready, I came home from work and filling my driveway was all this lava rock. There must have been at least 12 yards of the stuff.


Here are some before pics of the gardens that we were planning on putting the rock in. I had gone through and weeded them a couple days before. This garden has a bunch of perennials in it. I had also planted some bulbs in it last fall, but none of them have come up yet, so I'm hoping that putting the lava rock on them, won't keep them from appearing. It's not on really thick, so they should be able to pop up okay.



And here's the after with the rock. I love how the green against the rock really stands out. That dead looking plant should come to life with some greenery and yellow flowers. (I hope). That should look really sharp in there.


This back garden has some boxwoods hedges and some daylilly plants in it. We had put in red bark a few years ago but it has really faded and and started to decompose into the ground. So we thought it would be pretty to put some rock in here as well. Here's the before pics:
And here's the after pics. Again, I love the look with the deep red and all the green from the plants.




No comments: